Myself, Megan and Sinéad met up again on Tuesday 10th to get together the finishing touches of the revamped animation.
When I got in, I used a free Mac in the computer room and opened an older version of scene 1 of our animation, a scene that was left untouched from the lighting shenanigans we were experiencing. The lighting in this scene showed no problem at all, and I immediately felt the need to alert the team of this discovery.
They also noticed that nothing looked wrong, and we agreed that this version will be the one that will get rendered.
Sinéad, in the mean time showed me an experimental video she made using the first bunch of explosion paintings that I made, as seen below.
It looks rather good, but a good point Sinéad brought up was that it doesn’t make sense that the explosion spontaneously brings up a black background. I offered to repaint the explosion sequence, and she suggested to me that I take a screenshot of the set and paint over that, and that is exactly what I did.
I spent about 45 minutes remaking the explosion paintings, making sure the colours used were blended nicely, and when they were done, I went onto Google and http://makeagif.com/ to test the sequence out in GIF format.
Here are the still images.
And here they are put together into fast paced GIFS – one with 100ms for each image, another with 50ms for each image.
We all think it looks a lot better, and now that the explosion sequence has a white background, it will blend in with the entire scene nicely and create a better transition between scenes 1 and 2.
Along with what I have been doing, the others have also been doing their parts to the project. Sinéad also uploaded a video of Clíodhna’s 3D credits tester, so I can share it here to see its current progress.
So far the animation is looking nice. I wonder what the hoppers will look like when the names get added to them, if we get the time to do that, since the time we have left is becoming very thin. It is alright if we don’t get 3D credits in the end, however, since Megan is working on a really cute 2D alternative. I’m keeping an open mind with the credits; I really don’t mind what we get in the end!
For the face situation, we unfortunately couldn’t get them to work the way we would want them to, and due to time constraints, we will not be able to have another attempt done with the faces. I feel bad about this, but it needs to be done if we want this to be handed in on time, and perhaps it might not be too bad looking in the end, since even the tutors told us that faces may not even be needed on our hoppers in the end.
As for rendering, scene 2 is already rendered and put together on After Effects. Scene 1 is currently being rendered on Megan’s laptop. She did attempt to render on 2 different Macs in the classroom, but for some strange unknown reason, the Macs would not begin to render the scenes. I am glad that the frames are rendering well on Megan’s laptop, however, so I am confident that in good time scene 1 will be completed.
So far, so good. The team has been making amazing progress so far, and I feel happy and comfortable where we are. We will definitely get this done for the deadline!